As we have told you before, you have the right to choose your own title company, under Section 9 of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA). And while that is all fine and dandy, it does you no good in actually finding a quality title insurance company.
Where do you begin?
Where do you look?
How can you be sure you are choosing a reliable title insurance company?
Choosing a Maryland Title Insurance Company
- Do not let the seller, Realtor, or bank try and persuade you to choose their title company. As we have already said, you have the right to choose whatever title insurance company you want.
- There are many title companies that possibly work exclusively with 1 real estate company, one lender or one homebuilder. While this is by no means a bad thing, some title companies take advantage of this relationship. So be careful.
- While title insurance fees in most states are regulated by the States Department of Insurance, ancillary fees charged by title companies often times can create a significant difference from one company to the next. So shop around.
- Compare the services different title companies offer. That, compared with the varying prices, should give you a good idea of what title company will give you the best overall deal.
- Has the title agent worked in the industry for a while? Remember, experience matters when dealing with commercial deals, short sales, refinances, 1031 exchanges, bank owned properties, REOs, Seller Financed properties, Installment Sales, and more!
- Trust Colony Title Associates!
Colony Title specializes in real estate title insurance, real estate settlement services, and real estate closings in Baltimore, Columbia, Maryland, Washington DC, and Virginia. Our staff consists of licensed Title Insurance Agents, Real Estate Agents, Settlement Processors, & Attorneys to handle all of your real estate needs.
If you have questions, the Maryland real estate insurance experts at Colony Title Associates can be reached by calling 410 884-1160 or visit ColonyTitle.com today!
About Colony Title Associates:
Founded in 1995, Colony Title Group handles in excess of 2000 real estate closings per year in the central Maryland area. The founder Tee Tillman has over 23 years experience in the title and real estate law fields. Colony handles closings for several lenders, including banks, credit unions and mortgage brokers. Colony is the preferred choice for many real estate brokers in the area.